UEL 2nds progress to next round of BUCS Cup

Posted on

The University of East London 2nds go in to the last 64 of the BUCS Cup after a 2-0 win over The University of Essex 2nds.

UEL 2nds got off to a bright start, with great intricate play from the home side and sharp passing working from the back against a physical away side. The partnership between Lamin and Harry Tew-Robinson was set to threaten the visitors with the flair and pace they both possessed.   This was shown as with only ten minutes on the clock, a great one-two from Lamin to Tew-Robinson on the edge of the box allowed Lamin to burst through on goal but after taking it round the keeper couldn’t get a shot away.

UEL managed to break the deadlock in the in the 23rd minute after all their hard work, Dylan Freehily’s Rory Delap-like throw caused havoc before falling to the captain Brandon Manoka, who put UEL deservedly in front. Moments later a corner taken by William Semain was met by Tew-Robinson who directed it towards goal, but bounced off the bar to deny UEL an almost instant second. The rest of the half remained scrappy with no guilt edge chances from the home side and they went into the break only a goal up.

Going into the second half, UEL made an early change with Micheal Baloye replacing Norwegian striker Philman. An immediate attack from the home side put UEL into a two-goal lead after only 25 seconds in. The slick passing in midfield with Lamin now in the centre midfield position played in Tew-Robinson who burst into the box and guided it past the keeper, to get his eighth goal of the season.

UEL were now in full control and grew in confidence as another fierce throw was produced by Freehily on the hour mark which was won by Lukman Adesina, who hit the outside of the post, which would have put the game to bed.

Lamin was substituted moments later to avoid getting a yellow card after a number of late challenges and was replaced by Richard to pose his presence in midfield. Also with just over 20 minutes to play captain Manoka was taken off for Ollie Soulsby.

The away side made a change upfront to bring more presence up top and attempt to cause a problem for the UEL defence and did, as his shot from just outside the box looked to be comfortable for Dan Robinson was fumbled thankfully past the post.

With 15 minutes to play the opposition looked deflated and were exploited by the UEL forwards as a succession of passes from Tew-Robinson to Hayden fed in Semain and finally laid it off to Soulsby whose shot was well save by the keeper.

Going into the final ten minutes saw three glorious chances to finish the game in style missed, as the first was a great one-two from Philman to Hayden but Philman blazed his shot well over from just inside the box. The next was great play from Soulsby to Tew-Robinson, but was taken over by Richard who struck his shot straight at the keeper.

The final clear-cut chance fell to Philman who was in on goal, but hit his shot again down the keeper’s throat.

UEL now progress in to the last 64 of the BUCS Cup and keep there 100% home record as they get back to the league and play hosts to the league leaders Queen Mary University 2nds next week.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s