Posted on Updated on

Romford 1 AFC Sudbury 2 at Ship Lane
Ryman League North

Mitchell Young reports….

AFC Sudbury continue their good league form as they extend their league record to only one defeat in their last 12 as they secure a 2-1 win away at Romford. Although it wasn’t looking likely after an immediate start from the home side with an early lead from Ryan Imbert. After Sudbury failed to clear their lines, took a snap shot which caught Alex Archer off guard and trickled into the bottom left corner. As the game settled down on the stroke of the 15th minute ‘The Boro’s’ should have doubled there lead as Imbert put pressure on the Sudbury defender the ball then fell into the path of Robbie Norris, who only had the keeper to beat but put it harmlessly wide. However Romford were putting themselves into danger, from not clearing there lines and giving the ball back cheaply.

With that came the equaliser on the half hour mark as a long free kick was lumped up towards James Baker to flick it on to Olly Huges, who had time to chest it down and smash it in from inside the area to put Sudbury level. The home side could have regained the lead three minutes later the ball made its way through to Eddie Hart from a Robbie Norris pass to shoot across goal but was dragged just wide. The away side then took the lead five minutes later with a corner by Michael Shinn was headed away only to the edge of the box to Steve Spriggs who struck a volley which hit the inside of the post, rolled across the line, hit the other post and rolled agonisingly in to put the visitor in front. Sudbury could have added to their lead as Matt Daniels played in Baker but was denied by Aaron Omand. The resulting corner again wasn’t cleared properly and the ball fell to Ryan Henshaw to strike on the half volley, but was saved off the line by David Ottley to finally clear the danger and keep Romford in the game at the break.

The second half needed more quality in the final third for the hosts, if they were to get an equaliser and they started better after a shot from the captain Jack Barry was saved by Archer six minutes into the half. Romford after the hour mark made their first change of the game to bring on Tom Richardson for Jack Barry to stretch the play and create more width. Although the away side were next to cause a threat as a short free kick played in Baker, to whip his shot across the front of goal into the far post but went inches wide. The game slowed down which suited Sudbury as both managers made changes as Lewis Francis replaced Robbie Norris, with Isa Hussain coming on for George Woodward as last throws of the dice for Paul Martins side. As Romford pressed forward it aloud Sudbury space, once they got the ball back to kill the game off. They almost did after a great one-two from Spriggs to Daniels shot into the near post was well stopped by Omand to stay in the match. But Sudbury saw out the final minutes to claim all three points and put Romford into more danger at the bottom, while the away side continue to climb the table.

Team: Aaron Omand, David Ottley, George Woodward, Scott Truman, James Ishmail, Paul Clayton, Jack Barry, Abs Seymour,Eddie Hart,Ryan Imbert, Robbie Norris.

Subs: Hussein Isa, Tom Richardson, Lewis Francis,Matt Toms, Atu Ngoy.

Match Details:

Romford 1 AFC Sudbury 0 (Ryan Imbert 4)

Romford 1 AFC Sudbury 1 (Ollie Hughes 29)

Romford 1 AFC Sudbury 2 (Ross Watson 39)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s