Posted on

Brentwood Town 2 Barkingside 1 at Brentwood Centre Arena
Ryman League North

Mitchell Young reports…

Brentwood came from a goal behind to take all three points and move them further away from the relegation zone in this local bottom of the table clash.

The visitors took the lead ten minutes in after a break by Calvin Poku down the far left side, cut a ball in to the box for Jason Fontaine who got in front on his man and finished it into the roof of the net to take a deserved lead.

Barkingside then sat back and allowed the home side to get back in to the game, and they responded eight minutes later to equalise. With a corner not dealt with by the away side turned into a goal mouth scramble as Dan Subuola’s shot was saved but not away from danger as Martin Stokes slotted in the rebound through a crowd of players and in.

Brentwood kicked on from here and three minutes later took the lead through another set piece as Jason Gardener’s corner was nodded back across goal and was finally nodded in by Bobby Port.

The game then began to open up with end to end action as Fontaine had a shot just wide. Then at the other end Martin Tuohy was played in and attempted a dinked shot over the Barkingside keeper Chris Clark but just would not get down in time and landed on to the roof of the net. As the half hour mark past, Subuola squared his ball back to Stokes on the edge of the box for him to shoot which was deflected and was well grasped by Clark.

Barkingside nearly got back on level terms just before the break as Poku’s cross was met by Jake King but was comfortable for Dean Neil.

The second half had chances for both sides as Barkingside went looking for an equaliser as another corner by Gardener was put on a plate for Stokes but could not get enough on it to turn it goalwards. As both teams went in to the final 20 minutes Barkingside’s Matt Gulfer scuffed shot could not be guided in by King.

Time was running out for Barkingside and change after change was slowing the game down but the most glorious chance came in injury time with seconds remaining of the game Dean Neil made an important double save to keep a Barkingside equaliser out. With danger man Calvin Poku’s shot inside the box was well saved by Neil and Poku’s second bite at the cherry was once again saved and Brentwood finally cleared it away and with that came the final whistle.

Barkingside felt hard done by and Brentwood were delighted as they move further away from the relegation and move fours points clear of the relegation zone.

Brentwood Team: Dean Neil, Martyn Stokes, Sam Cross, Connor Witherspoon, Bobbie Port, Ryan O’Rawe, Jack Gardner, James Love, Martin Tuohy, Alex Akrofi, Dan Subola.

Subs: Sam Knott, Shad Ngandu, Anthiny Martin, Christian Mbulu, Adam Flanagan.

Barkingside Team: Chris Clark, Corey Ellis, Dan Mackin, Sean Crossley, Matt Waldron, Dan Calloway, Jake King, Jason Fontaine, Andy Edmunds, Matt Gulfer, Calvin Poku.

Subs: George Smith, Adam Salmon, Dan Hayes, Reece Cosson, Tim Ptman.

Match Details:
Brentwood Town 0 Barkingside 1 (Jason Fontaine 10)
Brentwood Town 1 Barkingside 1 (Martyn Stoakes 20)
Brentwood Town 2 Barkingside 1 (Bobby Port 22)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s