THURROCK 2 Wroxham 1

Posted on

Ryman League North Division one

Mitchell Young reports…

David Knight scored an injury time winner to take a well deserved three points at Ship Lane.

After going an early goal down in the first half by a Joseph Marsden penalty against the run of play. Thurrock equalised on the hour mark by Captain Lewwis Spence with a header.

Thurrock’s domination in possession was rewarded in the 94th minute as David Knight’s header was enough to clinch all three points and move up a spot into to the playoffs.

The home side started the better side taking control of the game and Thurrock’s top goal scorer David Knight was the first to get a shot on goal as he wriggled past his marker and curled a shot which was well saved by Robert Juhasz.

Wroxham were the side that broke the deadlock against the run of play 15 minutes in with Aaron Sanders who dribbled past two Thurrock defenders before being brought down in the box. The referee pointed to the spot and right back for the visitors Joseph Marsden stepped up and send the keeper the wrong way to give Wroxham the lead.

The home side had to make an early substitution half hour in for Lewis Clark as he picked up an injury and was replaced by Loui Hazelwood. The away side nearly doubled their lead nine minutes before the break as Ross Durrant flicked the ball into the path of Remy Gordon who shot from 20 yards but clipped the outside of the post. Spence nearly equalised just before the break with a first time volley after great play by Ross Wall and Bradley Warner but went just over the bar.

Thurrock started the second half bright again and almost got the leveller two minutes into the half as Knight’s shot just inside the box trickled towards goal but bounced off the post and cleared away. The host continued to press and got their deserved equaliser on the hour mark from Lewis Perkins corner put straight on Spence’s head to guide towards goal and back into the game.

With less than 20 minutes to play Simon Kings header was cleared off the line from a corner to deny Thurrock the lead. The home side thought they had scored four minutes from time as Hazelwood closed down the defence and laid it off to substitute Charlie Stimson which was headed off the line onto the crossbar and Spence could not guide the rebound goalwards.

Thurrock thought their best chance had gone and were heading for a frustrating draw until, in the fourth minute of five in injury time a free-kick was cleared by the rushing keeper Juhasz. Spence then lifted the loose ball back into the box over the keeper and Knight headed the ball past the three desperate defenders to take the win and all three points.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s