Pre-Season Friendly Thurrock FC 0 Portsmouth FC 2

Posted on Updated on

Portsmouth won 2-0 in their third pre-season friendly against Thurrock FC at Ship Lane tonight with two first half goals in their preparations ahead of the fast approaching new season.

New signing Craig Westcarr’s brace was enough to see off Ryman North side hosts Thurrock FC at Ship Lane tonight in a 2-0 pre-season friendly.

Portsmouth could have converted more chances has they been more clinical mixed with determined defending from the hosts.

Portsmouth kept the ball neatly in the opening exchanges and had the first clear chance on the Thurrock goal as Johnny Ertl’s unchallenged header was straight at Andy Walker.

Charlie Stimson’s frustration showed early on from chasing down the ball after his reckless challenge on Jack Whatmouth, with only a stern word from the referee.

Portsmouth broke the deadlock 33 minutes in as Craig Westcarr was given time to hit a crisp volley on the turn low into the bottom left corner catching out Andy Walker to take the lead.

The visitors grabbed a second five minutes later as Westcarr got his second, once again with bags of time to cut inside Lewis Clark and slotted his shot in off the post to double their lead.

Although Thurrock had an appeal for a penalty just before the break as Lamar Reynolds was brought down but the referee ignored the appeals.

A flurry of changes in the second half as expected for the away side as Ben Close, Andy Barcham and Bradley Tarbuck were introduced. Thurrock made one change in Jordan Clark looking to turn things around for the hosts.

Substitute Tarbuck only lasted seven minutes as he was replaced by Rickie Holmes due to injury.

The first second half chance came ten minutes in after a superb block by Simon King denied Miles Storey from extending their lead after a well worked move from Portsmouth.

Substitute Holmes put the ball on a plate for Wynter from a corner 65 minutes in but mistimed his leap. Holmes again got down the left flank soon after and cut the ball back for substitute Close whose finesse shot bent wide.

Holmes for the second time put the ball on a tee for Wynter again whose header down this time bounce wide of the goal.

Thurrock almost got a goal back nine minutes from time as Remi Sutton burst into the box but his cutback was blocked and cleared.

Close had an open goal to score after Walker’s antics in the corner got the home side in trouble but his shot went wide.

Portsmouth’s final opportunity to end on a high came four minutes from time as Barcham’s cross was met by Ryan Bird which bounced off the crossbar and cleared away from danger to deny the third goal.

Thurrock play their next pre-season friendly at home to local Ryman Premier side AFC Hornchurch on Saturday.


Portsmouth Lineup: 1 Paul Jones (75), 2 Alex Wynter, 3 Dan Butler, 4 Johnny Ertl ©, 5 Adam Webster, 6 Jack Whatmouth, 7 Jed Wallace, 8 Nigel Atangana, 9 Ryan Bird, 10 Craig Westcarr, 23 Patrick Agyemang (starts), 11 Miles Storey

Subs- 12 Nick Awford, 13 Alex Bass (75), 14 Joe Devera, 15 Ben Close (45), 16 Nicky Shorey, 17 Ben Chorley(60), 18 Danny Hollands, 19 Andy Barcham(45), 20 Bradley Tarbuck (45), 21 Ricky Holmes (60),

Thurrock Lineup: 1 Andy Walker, 2 Lewis Clark, 3 Remi Sutton, 4 Rob Gilman, 5 Simon King, 6 Greg Stuart, 7 Brad Warner, 8 Lewwis Spence, 9 Robert Clark, 10 Charlie Stimson (60), 11 Lamar Reynolds

Subs- 12 Tarik Moore-Azille, 14 Jordan Clark (45), 15 Charlie Honeness, 16 Calum Ibe, 17 Conor Martin, 18 Lee Rome, 19 James Goode, 20 Frazer Williams


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s