UEL 1sts progress to last 16 in seven goal thriller

Posted on Updated on

University of East London progressed to the last 16 of the South Eastern Conference Cup as they won 4-3 after extra-time against Buckinghamshire New University 2nds.

UEL opened up a two goal lead through an own goal and Ade Joshua’s curled shot. The visitors got back to level terms and went in front with two minutes remaining.

East London equalised in the 90th minute through a rare header from Jason Ngandu on his return from injury, to force extra-time.

Extra-time was tense with all the other UEL sides watching in anticipation as they got the winner through the clinical Johan Caney-Bryan to put UEL into the last 16.

The home side broke the deadlock 13 minutes in, after Ngandu’s great work down the right flank to cut the ball into the box was turned in by the away defender.

UEL doubled their lead as Caney-Bryan worked the ball to Joshua to bend his shot on the edge of the box into the top left hand corner.

The visitors struck back 36 minutes in as the Buckinghamshire centre forward slotted the ball past UEL captain Richie Robins.

Buckinghamshire equalised eleven minutes into the second half after a great cross field ball was chested down and lashed home by the forward for his second goal.

UEL nearly responded shortly after as Caney-Bryan lifted the ball through for Ngandu as he went round the keeper but his shot hit the post.

Buckinghamshire snatched a late lead with two minutes to go as the midfielder weaved into the box and cut inside to whip his shot into the far corner.

In the 90th minute UEL equalised as Robins was pushed up for the corner, Siao Levi-Blackwood’s cross was met at the near post by Ngandu to head into the bottom corner.

In injury time UEL were fortunate after a blatant handball by Nnamdi Harold-Egole was not spotted by the referee as extra-time was needed.

The second half of extra-time was full of action as three minutes in Levi-Blackwood’s free-kick hit a hand in the wall, the rebound was volleyed in but the referee brought play back for the penalty.

Levi-Blackwood stepped up for the penalty and his strike hit the crossbar to deny UEL the lead which was agonising for the UEL crowd.

UEL got the winner with seven minutes remaining as Caney-Brown picked the ball up just inside the Buckinghamshire half and burst goalwards and slotted his shot into the far corner. Which send the UEL supporters mad, to put themselves into the last 16 of the cup.

East London will now face Imperial University 1st who are in the same league as themselves at home in two weeks time.

UEL Lineup: 1 Rickie Robins ©, 2 Darren Hammond, 3 Stefan Wright, 4 Luqman Adesina, 5 Nnamdi Harold-Egole, 6 Harry Mathews (77 Sam Cassell), 7 Shahid Kasako, 8 Siao Levi-Blackwood, 9 Johan Caney-Bryan, 10 Ade Joshua (77 Micheal), 11 Jason Ngandu


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s