UEL comeback earns a point

Posted on

The University of East London 2nds produced a great second half comeback to nick a point in their 2-2 draw with University of Essex 3rds, at Beckton District Park.

UEL conceded two early second half goals, the first crept in Dan Robinson’s near post and fell further behind shortly after from a great header by Essex.

East London got back in the game with a header through Michael Ogboin. UEL grabbed their late equaliser again as Ogboin’s brace earned UEL a valuable point.

UEL dominated the early exchanges and almost got a reward through their asset of Dylan Feehily’s long throw, launched in to Tobi Adesina but his outstretched header went over.

Essex had a great opportunity from some neat passing just in the UEL half. A deadly pass broke the UEL defence and put the Essex striker in on goal, Robinson gave the striker the eyes and his strike was scuffed horrifically wide.

Adesina stormed down the left flank on the half hour mark, chased the ball down and nicked it off the defender. He burst towards goal pulled the ball back from the rushing keeper and his shot went just wide of the far post.

UEL’s best chance of the half came before the break, as another huge Feehily throw was flicked on at the near post for Ogboin’s header in the six yard box to be palmed away by the Essex keeper.

Essex took the lead six minutes into the second half against the run of play, from a long ball up to the Essex front man allowed to turn and his shot at the near post squeezed underneath Robinson.

UEL were stunned since the goal and paid the price, as a corner on the right was arrowed in and met by the Essex centre back with a bullet header to double their lead.

The home side then upped the tempo and momentum to pin Essex in their own half which paid off 68 minutes in. A long ball was switched out wide to Adesina, he travelled goal wards found a yard of space to hit a shot which was straight at the keeper but was spilled and Ogboin headed in the rebound.

UEL equalised with ten minutes remaining as Jaden Osei-Bonsu persisted with the ball down the left flank. He played in Ogboin and his upper body strength held off the defender and his shot nestled in the far post.

The hosts nearly won it with six minutes left, as Joshua Adjei whipped in cross was met by an unmarked Adesina, it looked to be heading in but for a brilliant diving save to deny UEL the win.

UEL Lineup: Dan Robinson, Dylan Feehily, Conrad Roda, Jaden Osei-Bonsu, John Daly, Marcus Smithies (50 James Awokoya), Harry Matthews, Joshua, Adjei, Cemal Agdelen ©, Michael Ogboin, Tobi Adesina,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s